Saturday, April 9, 2022

Journey to Top of Europe

Lauterbrunnen is a valley town that is the gateway to many spectacular wonders of Switzerland, such as the ever popular Jungfraujoch and the James Bond movie inspired Mt Schilthorn.

The journey to Lauterbrunnen started from a train trip from Interlaken. Upon reaching there, I was transformed into a world of dreamland with gorgeous towering rocky mountains surrounding the township. I was also mesmerised by the friendly locals especially the hostel host I met. 

My adventurous excursion started the next day to the Top of Europe, Jungfraujoch, at 3454m. It has one of the highest train stations in Europe and is famous for its snowy alpine glacier scenery. The journey to Jungfraujoch started with a train from Lauterbrunnen to Kleine Scheidegg via Wengen. From there, I took the final Jungfraujoch train as part of Jungfraujoch pass to the final destination. The 35 mins train ride was mostly in the tunnel without much view. Upon reaching the top, we followed the sign post to the viewing platform at the Sphinx Complex to view the iconic, long stretch of Aletsch Glacier. From there, we could walk nearby to explore and feel the snow. It was indeed my first ever experience of alpine glacier. The next destination on Jungfraujoch was to explore the Ice Palace, with sculptures carved out from glaciers. My trip to Jungfraujoch ended with a fridge magnet from Top of the World souvenir shop.

Skiing season 

View from train to Jungfraujoch

Aletsch Glacier on Top of the World

View from Jungfraujoch

Ice Palace

In the afternoon, I explored the snowy mountain in the surrounding Jungfraujoch region. I wanted to experience the chairlift ride down the snowy slope while enthralling myself with the wonderful alpine view on the ride. Later, I took a gondola ride back to Lauterbrunnen via Grindelwald town. 

Exploring lower Jungfraujoch region


Dreamland

Chairlift ride

View from gondola

Isolated house

The next day, I explore the other side of Lauterbunnen, to the popular Mt Schilthorn, where it was shot as part of a James Bond movie in 1969. The journey started with a cable car ride to Grutschalp, then a train to Murren, finally a gondola ride to Mt Schilthorn. The view from the top is truly amazing with  360 degree view. There are valleys and mountains below.


Pisz Gloria Mt Schilthorn

Could you see the ski trek?


After exploring Mt Schilthorn, it was time to explore the surrounding alpine below. I remember it was one of my euphoric moments to see so much snow for the first time in my life. There was a restaurant, overlooking the white snowy patch of alpine land. I walked around the toboggan trail, while people were skiing far and near by. The white snowy view was deeply embedded in my memory. 


Toboggan trail

Close up skiers

Toboggan

Enthralling view

Luxurious alpine meal

In the afternoon, I took a gondola ride back to Murren, where I walked from Murren down the icy foot path to Gimmelwald. It was a cool icy walk to enjoy the village scenery along the wooden steps with my waterproof boots soaking wet in icy water. From Gimmelwald, there was another gondola ride down to Stechelberg, where I took a bus ride back to Lauterbrunnen. I could remember vividly the amazing rocky view of the beautiful valley surrounding Lauterbrunnen in the bus ride back. 

Gondola ride to Murren

A walk in a wood



Nearing Stechelberg

No comments:

Post a Comment